Monday, September 15, 2008

G-daddy!!!


G-daddy is what Brenna, my 29-month-old granddaughter, calls me. It's interesting, since I called my own grandfather "Daddy Jones," and my boys called my Dad "Papaw." When Nathan and Kayla were expecting, and asked me what I wanted to be called by the new grandchild, I had a hard time deciding. I finally settled on resurrecting "Daddy Jones" which hadn't been used since 1956. But of course, grandkids have minds of their own, and Brenna herself chose to call me G-daddy.
I love the way that Brenna usually says her name for me as if it has three exclamation points behind it. It's always good to know that someone's excited to see you, or to talk to you on the phone.
Debbie (very wisely) picked out the name "Nonnie" which is easy for little mouths to form. The only problem was that for awhile, Brenna's pronunciation of "Nonnie" and "Annie" (her Jack Russell terrier) was exactly the same!
Anyway, just wanted to let the church know that she really enjoyed being with us this weekend, and seemed to enjoy church at Morganton.

I didn't know until last night that yesterday was the first time Brenna had stayed in "big church." So thanks, Uncle Matt and Aunt Tasha, for helping with her during the service, and thanks Mrs. Hitt (and Sarah Queen), for doing such a great job with her in Sunday School!

By the way, the photo shows her getting ready to 'explore' my Mom's old library supplies in my office at home.

No comments: