Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Questions Jesus Raised

I don't know why I'm a 'sermon series' kind of pastor. But all during my ministry, it seems that the sermons that were easiest to study for, prepare, and deliver were part of a series of sermons.
My current series is "Questions Jesus Raised." I must point out that there's a great book by pastor Roger Lovette with this same title, and I've appropriated his idea. I just am applying it to the book of John rather than to Luke as he did.
Isn't it interesting that the first question John records Jesus asking is, "What do you want?" or "What are you looking for?" (depending on the translation you use)
Right now, the USA is in the midst of a presidential campaign. The Dems are meeting this week, and the GOP meets next week. Each party hopes they have the candidate that Americans are looking for. But most of the time, I think people only think they know what they're looking for.
They want 'things' or 'relationships' or 'fun' or whatever...but find less and less satisfaction with them. Getting to know Jesus is a paradox. It's the easiest thing in the world, but will bring about the hardest changes to our lives, yet all for our eternal good.
More later, on later questions...

1 comment:

mjone182 said...

Hi Dad! You are a sermon-series kind of pastor because 1) that's the best way for you to spread the Gospel, and 2) you are a storyteller which lends itself to longer series of stories, in this case, sermons. I love the new blog! :D